Pages

Thursday, June 06, 2024

An Update to My Last Update

Salt Kettle, Bermuda (1899) by Winslow Homer.



It’s been a while since my last update -- like a whole year -- and I’m excited to recap what I’ve been up to. (And to let you know this blog is still alive and kicking, despite my best efforts to kill it).

Health and Recovery


I'm happy to report that my health has taken a turn for the better. After six months of physical therapy, my torn rotator cuff’s mostly healed, and my right eye's vision has returned to normal. These recoveries have been an enormous relief and have allowed me to dive back into the fray.

Artistic Achievements

Despite my hiatus, my watercolor skills are no worse for the wear. It’s been a bit of a slow start getting back into the show circuit, but I had the honor of showcasing my work in both 3 Square Gallery and the Lincoln Center. On top of that, I’m working on private commissions again — including one that’s a real challenge as it involves a subject I’ve never painted before. More on that to come…

Plein Air Adventures on YouTube


Blogging or vlogging? I suppose I could say that I’ve been doing more of the latter (link: https://www.youtube.com/@LauraGYoung). With 57 vlog entries now, I’ve been documenting my plein air painting sessions almost every week for over a year and a half. Each video shows not just the painting process, but also showcases the natural environs that inspire my work. The growth of the channel and the connections I’ve made around the world have been phenomenal. I don't normally say, "Like and Subscribe" but feel free to do so. :)

Writing Milestones

I’ve also made progress on my novel, On Common Ground. I’ve completed the second draft and am now deep into the third (developmental) draft. This phase is all about refining the plot and making sure that the character’s motivations make sense. Writing a novel has been a dream of mine for years, and it's been sooo satisfying to see that goal inch closer and closer to completion.

Moving Forward

Looking back on the past year, I’m grateful for the progress I’ve made and the people/experiences that have shaped my path. I’m stoked about what the Summer of ’24 holds and plan to continue pushing artistic boundaries.

Thanks again for being a part of my journey. Your support and encouragement mean the world to me. 




No comments: