Pages

Tuesday, January 06, 2015

An Artist's Resolutions for 2015


 First painting of the year. Brrr! Photo courtesy of Marilynn. :)


Happy 2015, dear friends! I hope it's going well for you so far.

Although I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, I'm one of those people who find it useful to make New Year's resolutions. The secret to keeping them, I've found, is to resolve to do things that are both manageable and specific.  Here's the ones I've made relating to my art:

  • Get out of my comfort zone by exploring at least two new mediums.

  • Improve my observational skills in the field.

  • Become more adept at avian anatomy.

  • Embrace my colorblindness as an asset, not a limitation.

  • Less complaining!

  • Make better use of my studio time by improving workflow and eliminating distractions.

  • Further optimize my outdoor painting gear.

  • Maintain a more regular online presence.

  • Make time to look at art, not just create it. Visit at least three museums.

  • Read ten books related to my subject matter; take notes and make sketches about what I learn.

  • Pass along vital knowledge to other artists, especially those who are young and/or starting out.

  • Engage with artists who are more experienced than myself.

  • Encourage those who are struggling.

  • Be gentle on myself when a painting fails.
  
      (and lastly...)

  • Review this list at least once a month.


Whew! That's a LOT of resolving.  I'll let you know how it went this time next year.  
 




No comments: