Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

New Lamps for Old?

Broken lamp: all that's holding it together is the cord.

After many a year of faithful service, my desk lamp's neck suddenly snapped, rendering it useless.  I tried superglue, I tried rubber bands; but the little ball-and-socket joint was (alas!) made of aged plastic and is therefore unrepairable.  Not only this, but the little ball-and-socket joint can't be replaced with a spare part.  They simply don't make them.

It's this sort of thing that makes me wonder about a culture that's overflowing with cheaply manufactured goods. It seems like a benefit, that I can buy so many things for so little money, but in the end I'll end up repeatedly replacing these items and thus spend MORE cash over time.  Even worse, the old broken items that can't be recycled will wind up in a landfill, slowly leaching toxins into the earth below.

The only reasonable solution is to try to find a gently used lamp with a non-plastic neck joint, but if this isn't available I suppose I'll invest in a new, well-made lamp (is there such a thing?) and hope for the best.

No comments: