Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Plein Air Workshop with Keith Bond

Searching for the right scene to paint.



In times past, a novice painter would be apprenticed to a master who would, over the years, pass on the hard-earned knowledge gathered over a lifetime.  In modern times, this is a rare practice, but recently I caught a glimpse of how adventageous such a relationship must've been.

I took a five day workshop with Keith Bond, a professional oils landscape painter from Utah; it was both daunting and exciting.  Daunting, because his skill level is much more advanced than my own, and exciting, because I was able to get solid, experienced answers to so many of my questions. 

After the first day, which consisted of introductions, a lecture, and an intense session of four or more 20 minute paintings, the basic outline of the course would go as follows: We'd meet around 8:30 in the morning at his studio, then drive off to a nearby location (Poudre Canyon, Lory State Park, etc.) He would give a demonstration, then we would paint a scene ourselves.  We'd then group together to have a picnic lunch, then paint two or more paintings, with Keith coming by to help us tackle whatever difficulties we might be having.  By around 5pm or so, we'd call it a day.

It was a wonderful time; I took lots of notes and got to mingle with several artists I hadn't met before -- but something tells me it will be awhile before the vast store of information I tried to absorb in less than a week will sink in.

No comments: