Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Thumbnail Sketches


I've started a new project this week, and have spent a good part of the day making thumbnail (i.e. small) sketches.  At this point in the process, I might think I know what would look good in terms of composition, but it's always good to try as many ideas as possible; that way, I can be sure that I've picked the best one possible. The reason the sketches are so tiny is twofold: first, because it saves time, and second, because sometimes it's easier to simplify and/or detect problems when the work is small. Also, because this is a design for a book cover, thumbnails are good for imagining how it might look on smart phones or e-readers.  Since I don't like drawing the same outline over and over, I've made a template out of an index card.  It's scaled down to about 1 1/3 x 2 inches. Any larger, and I tend to get hung up on the details.

1 comment:

Sarah Melling said...

Thanks for stopping by, Laura! This is an inspired idea...it's so easy to get wrapped up in the details of an illustration and forget about the overall composition.I must do more of these little thumbnails myself!