Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Plein Air Study: Long's Peak

8 x 10 inches
Oils on canvas board
Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

After breakfast today, I walked with my painting gear over to where a nearby street dead ends onto an open field. It's such a beautiful view, despite the ever-increasing housing developments and haze.

Long's Peak is an iconic Colorado mountain, named after Stephen H. Long, who explored it in the 1820s. It's a mere 14,259 ft feet, but one has to be in fairly good shape to climb it; if not, I've heard it's sheer misery afterwards. I've hiked around the impressive rock-strewn base, but have never made it to the top. Chad has, and he's always after me to do it with him some day. I'd like to, but the thunderstorms get very intense. Over the years, at least four people have died from from lightning strikes near the summit. Yikes!

As I painted, meadowlarks and prairie dogs were up and about, as well as a few neighbors walking their dogs. Everything went really well during this session -- except that I forgot my water bottle back at the house. I'm thinking of making a "pre-flight" painting checklist, since this sort of thing seems to happen a lot.

No comments: